Not only is this risotto perfectly pink, making it super fun to include in a Halloween feast or pink themed party, it is quite the cost effective meal. You can easily omit the wine to make it Halal or the cheese to make it Vegan and it’s such a delicious base flavour, you can really play around with it to make it your own. Add peas for an extra shot of greenery or if rocket’s not your thing, spinach also works well; just add a bit more pepper to give it a kick.
I think risotto is almost better the next day so keep your leftovers and reheat for a few minutes with an extra knob of butter and sprinkling of parmesan for the lunch to envy all co-workers.
600ml veg stock
1tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
200g risotto rice
1 glass dry white wine
1 knob butter
150g cooked beetroot
50g parmesan cheese
150g goats cheese
1 bag rocket
1. Heat olive oil over low heat and gently fry onion and garlic until soft. Add rice and increase heat.
2. When rice is translucent add wine and reduce. Turn down the heat.
3. Slowly add ladleful’s of stock and stir to massage it into the rice. Add salt and pepper throughout to taste.
4. Blitz cooked beetroot in processor until a puree is made.
5. Once rice is cooked through still with a little bite, stir through the beetroot puree. Add the knob of butter and parmesan and stick a lid on. Don’t touch for 3 minutes.
6. While waiting for the risotto to finish, pull apart blobs of goat’s cheese.
7. Fold in the rocket throughout the risotto and allow to wilt slightly.
8. Serve with blobs of goat’s cheese and another twist of pepper.